vom Hofe Patronen - Geschichte und Entwicklung

Good morning, congratulations!
Nice toy for big boys!

Mauser Oberndorf usually bought barrels from other manufacturers and assembled them in Oberndorf in their M66 systems.
The cartridge itself was invented by Walter Gehmann in 1955 in Karlsruhe, therefore the Brand Gehmann might be mentioned.
Also Gehmann produced in former times ammunition and was a dealer for this weapons.
Maybe Gehmann sold this weapon/barrel, therefore Gehmann might be engraved (also Ferlach guns from the 1960s/70s in the caliber 7x75R SE which have been sold by Gehmann have the engraving "Gehmann Karlsruhe").

If you´re looking for brass please contact Reimer Johannsen, who is dealer for Horneber brass oder ask the "Süddeutsche Hülsenmanufaktur" when they´re ready with their enhanced production equipment, then they will also offer the 7x66SE brass.

Where do you live? Which power is available? The 7x66SE likes real progressive powders like Hodgdon H1000 or Retumbo. Magnum primers are mandatory.

:cheers:

Always a joy to see the Ernst August vom Hofe and Weltmeister Walter Gehmann candles burning bright, especially in places like Tuscany.

Not to let an occasion for celebration slip by, I am going to open a bottle of tuscan red tonight on their behalf. A La Spinetta seems fitting, as a rhinoceros, represented by the Albrecht Dürer version adorning the bottle, is a worthy trophy for the vom Hofe and Gehmann cartridges and also harkens back to the world famous Original Mauser Waffen advertisement with the successful rhino hunter by Ludwig Hohlwein. All tied together nicely in a glass of wine.

Alla salute!

;-)

Hi everybody,
Thank you all for the answers.
I' m an enthusiast of Mauser weapons. I have some nice rifles, including a good old k98 that i have used several times in drive hunts for wild boars.
From years i'm the proud owner of an Europa 66 in 8x68S, One of the few with heavy barrel that were imported in Italy.
Absolutely my favourite weapon.
Now i have found this barrel in 7x66 Vom Hofe, never used before. And it's the perfect Sister for the old big 8.
Fortunately i have a friend that lives in Alto Adige, South Tirol, that used to Hunt gams with the 7x66 when he was young. He has sold the rifle years ago, but he still has brasses. The Best powder could be 217 or N570, but right now i have a box of MRP that should work well on this caliber.
Within two weeks the roedeer season Will start... So i Will have a chance to test the new caliber!!
I'm happy to discover that someone enjoy our wines in the same way that i enjoy german weapons.
Vom Hofe star still shines here in Tuscany!!
Salute!

Best regards.
Doc.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hello, I have had a good start of season with the good old 7x66. A young female roe deer, and a very nice male with a good trophy. I have some problem with the ammunition that i have bought last june. The only one on the market were the sologne with ballistic tip, and the brasses were difficult to find ( now i have found some). The female deer hitten in the blatt was able to run for 80 meters, with an orrible wound , both lungs lost on the field. The male roe deer was shot at 180 meters, on the shoulder. Devasting wound, left shoulder wasted. the bullet did not exited, just a little fragment was found under the skin, on the right ribs. So now i have to start with reloading test.
I have tried KS bullet, and it groups very nicely. In winter we hunt roedeer and fallow deer, so i need an almost soft bullet that could work on light games, and that could assure a good penetration with heavier game. Has anyone any experience with the KS bullet in this beautifull caliber??
I'm really impressed by the precision of this caliber, really incredible.
Doc

Congratulations, Doc!
Personally I have no experience with KS. I‘d reconmend bonded bullets like Accubond or copper bullets on roe deer in this high velocity caliber. This will work very well.

Regarding brass, Horneber is on backlog while SHM is still planning to offer this caliber after installing new presses.

Hallo dotcchico,

the heavier KS in 10.5gramm (= 162grs.) must be the better choise for game anyweight.
The lighter KS in 8gramm (= 127grs.) was used in the slower 7x64Brenneke (compairable with the american .280Rem.) by my father in the early 1980´s.
Under a shooting-distance of approx. 150meters (= 135yds.), the meat-damage was to rapid, you´ve could stick two fists in the outbounding wound of the roe-deer, when the shoulderbone or just a rip was hidden.
In the faster 7x66vom Hofe this effect could be more extreme.
By the way, the KS is in it´s wound-effect not very different from the Sierra Game-King or the older Hornady Spirepoint in same weight (KS, Kegelspitz means "spire-pint"). ;)

Greetings
Sirius

Neueste Beiträge

Online-Statistiken

Zurzeit aktive Mitglieder
Zurzeit aktive Gäste
Besucher gesamt
Oben